I’ve explained this to a few people lately and thought I’d post it here in case anyone else is interested in this idea: we plan our menu week to week by using Google Calendar.
How we do it
- Find recipes we like, either in cookbooks or magazines
- Create an event in our shared Google Calendar with the name of the recipe. We add the recipe reference & main ingredients into the details of the event.
- Once the week is planned out, we make a grocery list.
- We go to the supermarket, but the items, make the food and enjoy!
- Once we’ve had the meal, it gets rescheduled for 4-6 weeks away (sometimes less, sometimes more depending on how good a meal it is).
- If I’m at work and there are fresh items needed for a recipe (especially near the end of the week) we can pick up items on the way home - especially since Darren works in Ellerslie, land of bakeries.
- We waste less food by buying exactly what we need - especially if we can group recipes that use the same kinds of ingredients
- We spend less money than we used to when we didn’t do this.
- Getting started can be a slow process - especially if you have a lot of recipes.
- When we’re super busy it can fall by the wayside pretty easily.
So, in a nutshell, that is our system - I’m keen to hear from anyone who has other systems for recipes because honestly, they are the bane of my life!